Homemade bread; the good life!
On one my trips to Israel, I was unexpectedly given a tour of one of Israel's oldest challah bakeries in one of the most intriguing places of all...Mea Shearim, Jerusalem's oldest Jewish neighborhood populated by Haredi Jews. My visit was on a Thursday night as they were preparing for Friday's challah sale in time for Shabbat. The smell was divine and the bakers were working as fast as they could. I've never seen bread being kneaded so quickly and with such precision. The oven they use is over 100 years old and is similar to a brick fire oven used for pizzas. I thought it would be cool to share those pictures with you.
Another cool bread experience was a visit we made last year to Saidel's bakery in Karnei Shomron. Les Saidel is practicing his bread recipe in anticipation of baking loaves for the coming Third Temple...fascinating!
Read about that experience and a bit about the spirituality of bread by clicking here.
If you've never made challah bread, I encourage you to try it. It is a delicious egg based bread that makes wonderful french toast if you have any leftover. Below is my recipe that is super easy and a great tradition to start with your family. Kids LOVE making bread!
Let me know if you make it and how it turns out.
In Current Events: Last Friday was President Trumps 73rd birthday. A friend sent me these mind-blowing stats:
A Birthday gift to President Trump from Israel?:
- June 14 was Donald Trump's birthday
- It was the 165th day of the year, which if you divide into 365 = .45 (45th president)
- It's the same day that the American flag was adopted for the nation
- Same day that the Continental Army was established
- Same day that "under God" was added to the pledge of allegiance
- The week Trump was born, the Torah portion was Beha'alotcha, which is all about the TRUMPETS that were to be made for the tabernacle an how/when to use them
- The haftarah portion that week was from the first four chapters of Zechariah, which is all about God's passion for JERUSALEM. It also says he will bring his presence back to the land in that day, set the cornerstone, and remove the filthy rags of Joshua the High Priest so that he can rule over the people justly.
"The Israeli government has officially dedicated a town to President Trump named Ramat Trump ...Trump Heights... on the beautiful Golan Heights. President Trump deserves this honor for recognizing Israel’s importance to us as an ally, our shared values and our strong US -Israel relationship on multiple levels. Preeminent among his policies is his 2018 decision to move the US Embassy to its rightful location in Jerusalem, the capital of Israel. Previous presidents made this promise but President Trump is the one who enacted Congress’s 1995 Jerusalem Embassy Act." (israelhayom.com)
Food for thought:
Could President Trump give Israel support for the rebuilding of the Third Temple for Israel's birthday next year or the next? The stats above combined with this pattern of gift giving between Israel and President Trump-led America sure do seem to have a bit of hand writing on the wall. Time will tell.
Have a great week!