The Texas Department of Transportation El Paso District is pleased to announce the launch of the Highway Emergency Response Operator (HERO) Program, beginning operations Monday, June 15, 2020. The program is a Safety Service Patrol program for motorists traveling on El Paso County’s three major highways.
Starting Monday, a fleet six of trucks per shift bearing the HERO logo and TxDOT branding will be at the service of motorists to offer the following, at no charge:
- Changing of flat tires
- Adding air to low tires
- Adding sufficient gasoline so that motorist may reach closest fueling location
- Providing motor oil if needed
- Adding water to radiators
- Providing battery jump start
- Providing minor vehicle repairs
- Providing cell phone service to stranded motorists
- Providing drinking water to stranded motorists
Through the HERO program, drivers distinguished by bright yellow uniforms will patrol continuously, Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. on the following major highways:
- I-10 from Transmountain Road to Horizon Boulevard
- US 54 from McCombs to Loop 375 (Cesar Chavez)
- Loop 375 from I-10 West to Santa Fe Street
The six vehicles on patrol throughout the day include five service trucks and one tow truck manned by a supervisor. The experienced field crew are all first-aid and CPR certified, and trained in incident management. Additional support is provided by our team at the TransVista Center, who keep watch via our camera system and can advise the crew of incidents or vehicles stopped on the roadway.
“This is a great addition to the El Paso District,” said TxDOT El Paso District Engineer Tomas Treviño. “Safety is our top priority and these crews will be helpful in keeping our roads clear and drivers and first responders safe during vehicle incidents on our highest traveled roadways.”
Federal funding for the HERO program was awarded from the El Paso Metropolitan Planning Organization. The HERO program is currently funded for two years.
Motorists in need of assistance can call 915-790-HERO (4376) to summon help.