Copy
View this email in your browser
Hello <<First Name>>,

The government announced a regional stage 2 re-opening today that takes effect this Friday in communities outside of the Golden Horshoe. Durham, Haldimand-Norfolk, Halton Region, Hamilton, Lambton, Niagara Region, Peel, Windsor-Essex, York Region and Toronto remain in stage 1 as a result of today's announcement.

The stage 2 re-opening also allows for the expansion of social gathering from 5 to 10 people and allows for the re-opening of houses of worship maintaining social distancing guidelines. I'm sure this news comes with some disappointment to local residents and businesses yearning for a return to normal. The vast majority of new cases continue to emanate from the GTA area, and as such, the risk of re-opening remains high. Recent reporting on new cases show some encouraging trends, but re-opening needs to be done right. After all the effort you have made to flatten the curve, I don't want to see us take a step backwards.

Testing capacity needs to increase beyond where we are today. We need serious improvements on asymptomatic testing, and we are still waiting on a contract tracing plan from the province. I also have concerns with the Premier dismissing the NDP proposal for 10 paid sick days as workers return to the job site. In our view, forcing people who may be sick to go into work, and possibly infect others, is not a sensible approach to take during a pandemic.

Many seniors have contacted my office with questions concerning financial support for individuals on OAS and GIS. Last week, the Prime Minister announced that payment for qualified individuals will flow the week of July 6th. I am continuing to hear from many of you on a variety of topics, including anti-black racism, Bill 184, and the troubling Ontario Court ruling on self-intoxication as a legal defence. We are also receiving word of another long term care home now under review by the Canadian Armed Forces in Vaughan. Your feedback and suggestions are incredibly valuable to me. Please keep sharing your thoughts.

The Ford government announced the formation of a youth advisory committee recently. I've watched this government let down racialized youth over and over again, but there is an opportunity to take urgent action. Please find a press release below, in my role as Youth Engagement Critic.


As always, my office is here to help. Please call at 416-243-7984, or email us at fhassan-co@ndp.on.ca.

Take care, stay home, and wash your hands.

Best Regards,



Faisal Hassan
Member of Provincial Parliament
York South—Weston
 
Each level of government has useful information to support you during this crisis. For more information, visit the resources below:
News Release
 

Youth committee an insult after Ford ripped opportunities away from young Black people: NDP

 

QUEEN’S PARK — Faisal Hassan, Ontario NDP Youth Engagement critic, said it’s insulting for Doug Ford to announce a committee to look at the challenges facing marginalized young people particularly when the Ford government has let Black youth down at every possible turn.

“If Doug Ford had been listening to Black youth for the last two years, he wouldn’t need this committee — he would have been busy tearing down the barriers disproportionately faced by racialized young people,” said Hassan. “Rather than expanding opportunities for Black youth, Mr. Ford has been making cuts that are ripping opportunities away from them.”

The Ford government made it harder for Black, Indigenous and racialized students to access tutors and extra supports when it cut $25 million from programs that deliver these services. And the Ford government made it 300-per-cent more expensive for community groups to rent school gyms when it cut the Priority Schools Initiative.

“Black youth in Ontario have a right to be skeptical that a government that has been ripping opportunities away from them is now all of a sudden interested in hearing from them,” said Hassan. “Doug Ford’s apparent 180 on the question of systemic racism in our province won’t mean anything if his words aren’t backed up with action.

“If Mr. Ford is serious about creating opportunities for Black youth, he can start today by implementing my motion to create 27,000 paid co-ops and internships.”

Hassan’s motion to establish tens of thousands of paid positions to help students, recent graduates and unemployed youth gain work experience passed on Feb. 28, 2019. More than a year has passed and the Ford government has yet to make good on this commitment.

Community News: 
Join FoodShare's Community Action Support Team for an Intro to Good Food Markets zoom session! The Session will detail how FoodShare can support groups in setting up their own community based affordable produce markets.

Date: Thursday, June 11, 2020  
Time: 11:00 am to 12:00 pm 

To register, use the following link https://forms.gle/Q3xgAj4JpnMtcZEE8
The Career Foundation has created a rapid response plan to help protect and rebuild the community from this pandemic. As laid-off workers start seeing that their EI and CERB Benefits are coming to an end, it is important for them to begin seeking out new employment opportunities. The Career Foundation can help! For more info, visit https://careerfoundation.com/
Twitter
Facebook
Email
Instagram
Copyright © 2020 Member of Provincial Parliament - York South-Weston, All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.