Copy
View this email in your browser
Hello <<First Name>>,

Earlier this week, the government announced plans to re-open child care centres. This announcement comes with the expectation that centres will make the necessary adjustment to ensure the safety and security of children and staff. Some of the measures being put in place include:
  • Groups of children no larger than 10
  • Symptom Screening prior to entry
  • Frequent and thorough cleaning of the facility
You can learn more about the proposed plan HERE.

Re-opening child care centres will be vital to many families since working parents, and especially women, will find it difficult or impossible to return to work without child care options. This is an important step to recovery, but it must be done right.

To date, the government has announced no new funding to address the additional costs that child care centres will be faced with. They have also neglected to provide resources to help these centres acquire the PPE they need to keep workers and families safe. While the government announced the re-opening for Friday, today, Premier Ford announced that centres that are not able to open should remain closed. We need a fulsome, well though-out approach to re-opening child care. Ontario already has the highest child care costs in the country and I worry the result of this announcement will mean increased fees for parents or the closure of centres unable to deal with the financial burden. I will work with our caucus to identify concrete fixes to these problems, as well as the long term issues with child care in Ontario where previous governments have failed.

On the issue of long term care homes, we are learning of more instances of for-profit facilities requiring investigations, and more troubling allegation of neglect. This evening, I'll be speaking with individuals impacted right here in York South—Weston during a Facebook live event. Please join me between 6:00pm - 7:00pm this evening to hear from real people about the impacts on our community. You can join us at: https://www.facebook.com/FaisalHassanNDP.

Thank you for reaching out to my office with your concerns on these issues, and many others. I encourage you to continue to provide feedback as we navigate these challenging waters.


As always, my office is here to help. Please call at 416-243-7984, or email us at fhassan-co@ndp.on.ca.

Take care, stay home, and wash your hands.

Best Regards,



Faisal Hassan
Member of Provincial Parliament
York South—Weston
 
Each level of government has useful information to support you during this crisis. For more information, visit the resources below:
News Release
 

Ford setting child care centres up for higher prices, or failure

 

SCARBOROUGH — Premier Doug Ford is asking child care centres to open as soon as Friday, with three days’ notice — but he’s not providing the financial support that is required and he’s counting on enough parents not sending their kids back to daycare. With fewer kids and higher costs for screening, personal protective equipment, and cleaning, Ford may be setting child care centres up for fee hikes, or permanent shut downs.

“Many child care centres are hanging on by a thread, struggling to pay the rent and bills to make it through the pandemic closures,” said NDP Early Learning and Child Care critic Doly Begum. “By refusing to give them the financial support they need, Doug Ford may be forcing child care centres to hike fees, or shut down forever — and if the centres close, there won’t be any space secured for families.”

When re-opening, they’ll need to buy PPE, add new screening, and add additional cleaning and disinfecting. Those requirements are good, said Begum — but without financial support to get it all done, Ford is setting the child care centres up for failure.

Ontario already has the highest child care costs in the nation — rising to more than $20,000 a year for infant spaces.

“We have too few child care spaces, and they cost too much,” said Begum. “This government, like the one before it, doesn’t prioritize and invest in making child care accessible and affordable. But they’ve hit a breaking point — either we invest in child care now, or risk losing more spaces.”

Begum said there can be no economic recovery in Ontario without a “she-covery” — since working parents, and especially women, will find it difficult or impossible to return to work without child care options.

The Ford government already cost Ontario thousands of planned child care spaces when it make deep cuts to municipalities, including municipal child care.

Community News: 
During the current COVID-19 outbreak, Youth Employment Services is continuing to offer it's pre-employment program through online channels as they continue to support unemployed youth through this challenging crisis. For more info, vitist their website at https://www.yes.on.ca/
Urban Arts continues its innovate online arts programming. For more info and an important message on anti-black racism, please read their latest newsletter HERE.
Career talks, the online speaker series about careers in the constructions industry continues next week, on Tuesday at 6:00pm. To register for this or future events, please visit www.communitybenefits.ca/careertalks
Pedestrian changes have arrived at Keele and Eglinton. To learn more information about the adjustments happening at the Keelesdale site, read the PDF HERE.
Twitter
Facebook
Email
Instagram
Copyright © 2020 Member of Provincial Parliament - York South-Weston, All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.