Strap in, citizens! We've got a treasure trove of happenin's going on this weekend!! So much so, we're going to do it a little differently here-- with our Top 10 events for Thursday and Friday upfront, followed by the rest of the spotlight events above (click on any of them to jump to more info on Facebook!)
TEN AMAZING THINGS TO DO IN THE NEXT 48 HOURS!!
*****It's gonna be a wild one!!!!!
1) Head over to Mitch e Amaro on Armour tonight (Thursday) for their Tiki Cocktail session with Stephan Berg from Bitter Truth cocktail stores and Tiki Lovers Rum. Get down on their tiki cocktail menu starting at 5PM!
2) Also, tonight VolunCheers KC is launching their volunteer organization tonight at Big Rip Brewing Company starting at 6:30. New beer on tap at Big Rip is a collab with local restaurant Karbón-- the Fire Tree ale: a pineapple, tomatillo and jalapeno pepper sorghum beer! Sam Jones from Kansas City Beer will have boardgames at the meetup and information on upcoming volunteer cleanups and festival event staffing opportunities! Join the crew and get discounts at 13 local breweries around town!
3) Cinder Block is teaming up with Bettie Rae's Ice Cream for beer floats this afternoon and evening. 'Nuff said!
4) They'll also be bringing out their Sours & Stouts barrel-aged flights on Friday:
- '17 Lusus Naturae - '18 Sour Tripel - '18 Great White Brett - '16 Black Squirrel - '18 Bourbon Maple Barrel-aged Retribution Rye - '18 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Amber
5) Pumpkin beers arrive at Grain to Glass! Celebrate the season with a tasting tonight at 5PM
6) Apparition, a Halloween-themed cocktail bar will be opening up in the spooky mysterious event space above Screenland Armour. 13 specialty cocktails, horror movie projections, candy drops-- get in costume and keep it tuned to their facebook page for openings: beginning THIS FRIDAY!! Happy Spooky Season everybody!!!! 🎃
8) In addition, there will be an alumni get-together party at Paul & Jack's tavern from 1-3pm.
9) Pitch-nominated DJ Savy will playing a set on the Chicken N Pickle rooftop Friday night. Party-on and pray for no rain...
MORE CINDERBLOCK FUN:
SATURDAY: Casual Commingle Bottle & Draft Release (the first
release in a new blended sour series). This ale is a
combination of multiple beers, each aged in different wine
barrels from 2013, 2016, and 2018. By letting these beers
"commingle", a very complex beer is created. Flavors of
dark cherries give way to more rustic characteristics,
followed by a moderate tart to sour finish
Live Music from 6-9 fting: Shaking Tree
SUNDAY: Bottomless Cider Mimosas!! $15
NKC's City-Wide Garage Sale returns this Saturday! Flocks of bargain shoppers will be rummaging across town for deals and finds, so if you need to say goodbye to those leather pants from your college years-- now's the time!! You require no City approval or permit if selling from your residential garage, so feel free to open for business starting Saturday morning!
***If weather rains it out again, there will be no rain out. Use your best judgement on whether or not to have your sale.
New Sheriff in Town:
Local staple Chappell's Restaurant & Sports Museum will be closed from Monday to Sunday next week in order for a new ownership group to take over and get acquainted with the almost 40-year establishment. Get excited for resumed programming and watch parties!!
Welcome PETE DULIN to the RiverNorth Business League's content department!
A 30-year veteran writer for the Kansas City food & drink scene, Pete freelances for regional publications like Feast Magazine and KCPT's Flatland. Pete, a Northland Native, is releasing 1-2 articles per month for rivernorthkc.com, including coverage for the 2nd Saturday Newsletter! Check out his most recent post!
The Second Annual NKC Music Fest returns to North Kansas City with more than 30 acts scheduled to perform rock, punk, hip-hop, jazz, blues, and other styles. The inspiration for the festival remains the same. Organizer and founder Ed Burns says, “The original idea hasn’t changed. A wide variety of local bands perform at a nice sampling of NKC spots. It’s a great way to take in a lot of new things in one day!”
The artists perform at nine venues throughout North Kansas City, including new locations at Old Shawnee Pizza at Repeal 18th, Grain To Glass, and Big Rip Brewing Company. North Kansas City’s downtown businesses provide an easily walkable route to visit venues and see acts. Burns says, “KC Bike/Scooter is also a partner to help with the trek between venues.”
Ten Hours of Music for a Steal– or a Little Bit of Charity
Music begins at 2 pm and concludes at midnight. Burns says, “A $15 wristband gets entry into all venues for the day.” Attendees may donate more than three items (non-perishable food, personal hygiene or household products) to gain free admittance to the event. Harvesters barrels will be located at NKC Music Fest’s main ticket sale table at Calibration Brewery.
Highlights of the festival include an appearance by The Flying Balalaika Brothers from Austin, TX, and Russia, who will headline Calibration Brewery’s outdoor stage. Popular Kansas City punk band Radkey was added to the bill after returning home from touring. “Radkey will be playing Velo Garage’s new outdoor stage with tons of other rock acts,” Burns says.
The wide variety of acts includes The Matchsellers (bluegrass), Kadesh Flow (hip-hop/jazz), Arson Class (punk), School Of Rock (local students), Nicki White (singer-songwriter), Brody Buster (blues) and Fred Wickham Caravan (country). Burns says, “It’s still pretty homegrown with no corporate sponsorship.”
Learn more details about NKC Music Fest, view the band schedule, and obtain tickets at www.nkcmusicfest.com
PINT PATH RETURNS FOR OCTOBER 2ND SATURDAY (10/12)...RESERVE YOUR SPOT TODAY!!!
Have a picture of NKC that captures the people and places here? Share it to instagram with the hashtag #discoverNKC -- we'll occasionally repost pics as we go around snapping our own!
Also check out the professional photography of @hoopsphoto promoting the member businesses of @rivernorthdistrictkc. They have many more shoots and photo uploads to roll out over the coming months, so be sure to give RiverNorth a follow and stay tuned!
And check out the new and improved RiverNorthKC.com, with an upgraded calendar keeping you in the know about what's going on in town!