Welcome to Swedish Tech Weekly issue #141.
Bringing you the latest from Sweden's tech and startup industry.
If this email has been forwarded to you, you can sign up for free at swedishtechweekly.com.
Mergers & acquisitions
- Workamo (Stockholm, online marketplace that matches freelancers and gig economy companies) acquired its Swedish competitor Simpell for SEK19.5M (€2M, $2.1M) (English, Swedish).
- TicTac (Malmö, provider of corporate e-learning solutions) acquired Danish provider of corporate e-learning solutions Key2Know. Financials were not disclosed (English, Swedish).
- Semcon (Gothenburg, multi-discipline technology firm) acquired UK-based e-learning solutions provider Walkgrove. Financial details were not disclosed (English).
This issue of Swedish Tech Weekly has been sent to 1025 subscribers. If you enjoy this newsletter, please tell a friend, colleague or business partner about it! Forward this email, recommend swedishtechweekly.com on Slack/your team app of choice, or like/retweet this tweet, this tweet or this one. Thank you!
- GOALS (Stockholm, free to play, multiplayer first and esports ready football game): $19M from undisclosed investors (English, Swedish).
- Collaboration Art (Stockholm, holding company for performance marketing brands): SEK60M (€6M, $6.6M) from Spiltan (Swedish, machine translation).
- Pinteg (Lund, upcoming SaaS platform that helps companies make their operations GDPR-secure): SEK6M (€600K, $660K) from angel investors (Swedish, machine translation).
- Swedish investment firm Flat Capital revealed that it invested SEK4.5M (€450K, $500K) in US-based design platform Figma's Series E round (Swedish, machine translation).
News from Swedish startups and the tech sector
- SEK70.8B (€6.9B, $7.7B) were invested in Swedish startups in 2021, according to DI Digital, compared to SEK27B the year before. Even when excluding Northvolt's giant SEK23B round, that's still about twice as much money that was flowing into Swedish startups 2021 vs 2020 (Swedish, machine translation).
- Everdrone, Gothenburg-based software and drone service developer, had an autonomous drone deliver a defibrillator that helped save the life of a 71-year-old man. According to the company, that's a "world unique achievement" (English, Swedish / DI Digital paywall).
- Axyer is a new Linköping-based startup that just released an app for iOS & Android users in Sweden to discuss and discover stocks (Swedish / DI Digital paywall).
- Einride reportedly becomes the next Swedish unicorn, and Instabox is close (English).
- Picsmart, Stockholm-based online and delivery platform for local grocery stores, is expanding to other Swedish cities, with Örebro and Gothenburg first (Swedish, machine translation).
- 3 Swedish companies (Volta Trucks, Einride and CAKE) as well as Swedish-Norwegian company Tibber made it on Sifted's list of "Europe’s fastest growing climate tech startups", based on last year's hiring (English).
- Stockholm-based agricultural impact fund Gårdskapital wants to solve farmers’ capital needs to help them transition to more sustainable working practices, as explained by the founders Ebba Sundström and David Elvingsson in this interview (English).
- Oliver Edholm, 19-year old co-founder of Stockholm-based product recommendation software startup Depict, is one of 23 individuals to receive $100,000 from the Thiel Foundation for pursuing ambitious entrepreneurial projects instead of attending college (Swedish, machine translation).
- Spotify is losing its chief legal officer Horacio Gutierrez, who will join Disney (English).
- 🎧 Interview with Heidi Lindvall, General Partner at Swedish climate VC Pale Blue Dot, on investing in climate tech innovations (English, 14 minutes).
Other interesting things
- Tech analyst Benedict Evans highlights technology-related questions for 2022, from crypto to cars to fast fashion (English).
- In 2021, 18% of venture capital invested in startups globally went to European startups, compared to 13 % in 2020 (English).
- How to "engineer" your way onto a VC’s radar (English).
- 78,711 new companies were started in Sweden in 2021, an increase of 7.1 percent compared to 2020, the previous record year (Swedish, machine translation).
- Last year, the Volkswagen ID.4 was Sweden's most registered electric vehicle, followed by Kia e-Niro and Tesla Model 3 (Swedish, machine translation).
- Volvo Cars announced Jim Rowan, who has a background in EVs and autonomous driving tech, as new CEO (English). The company is also set to debut unsupervised autonomous driving in California (English, Swedish).
- Apple reportedly plans to launch its HomePod mini smart speaker on the Swedish market this year (Swedish, no machine translation available).
- A guide to the tradition of Swedish cross-country skiing (English).
If you don't want to wait a week for my next curation, head over to Swedish Tech News and purchase a subscription. Here's the deal:
For any feedback or comments, just hit reply.