It has been highlighted to us through NHS England and Dorset CCG that large numbers of staff working in Early Years settings have booked and are turning up for vaccinations at the Mass Vaccination sites, such as the BIC.
Unfortunately, these staff are not eligible under the Health and Social Care Priority 2 category for a vaccination. If any staff have booked a vaccination they should be asked to cancel it as the mass vaccination sites, through their checking processes, will be turning them away. They are, however, eligible for Lateral Flow Testing and this can be accessed via the link below.
There has been no change to the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI)’s position on prioritisation for the vaccine and the roll-out is still progressing through its first phase priority groups – which does not include those working with ‘children under 16 who do not have underlying health conditions leading to greater risk of disease or mortality and children who have no underlying health conditions’. The JCVI list of people who should be given the vaccine first is unchanged and unfortunately does not include staff working in Early Years settings. It’s understood that Early Years setting workers would only fall under the social care worker category, in the eyes of the JCVI list, if they work at a special school caring for children who are clinically extremely vulnerable or have underlying health conditions as mentioned above.
For clarity, the JCVI priority list is still the following:
- residents in care homes for older adults and their carers
- all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
- all those 75 years of age and over
- all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
- all those 65 years of age and over
- all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
- all those 60 years of age and over
- all those 55 years of age and over
- all those 50 years of age and over
We appreciate this is a difficult time for everyone and we thank you for your continued hard work.