What is a Luff-In??
The San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs' Luff-In Series represents a step up in competition level from our Screaming Chickens; broadening the field to include other area clubs, and also offering racing for multiple types of boats. The term “Luff-In” is a San Diego original, and refers specifically to these SDAYC events.
The SDAYC Luff-In Series runs on the calendar year, and currently consists of three weekends: one in spring, one in summer, and one in fall. Each Luff-In weekend is actually two separate events, with separate registrations. Saturday Luff-Ins are for Singlehanded classes: Sabots and Laser Radials. Sunday Luff-Ins are for Doublehanded classes: Club Flying Juniors (CFJ), Club 420 (C420), and 29ers; PLUS Open Skiffs (singlehanded, but on Sunday so as not to conflict with Sabots).
There are SDAYC perpetual trophies for the winners of each annual series:
- Dennis Conner Perpetual Trophy: SDAYC Luff-In Sabot Champion
- JJ Fetter Perpetual Trophy: SDAYC Luff-In Laser Radial Champion
- Doug Hart Perpetual Trophy: SDAYC Luff-In CFJ Champion Team
- Mark Reynolds Perpetual Trophy: SDAYC Luff-In C420 Champion Team
- Tim Wadlow Perpetual Trophy: SDAYC Luff-In 29er Champion Team
- “TBD” Perpetual Trophy: SDAYC Luff-In Open Skiff Champion
It’s especially useful that the Luff-In schedule starts in spring, which allows sailors to sail two complete Luff-Ins, potentially in a new boat or crew combination, as a warm up for the next level of competition: the SCYYRA Series which begin in September.
Saturday, May 21st - Sabots & Lasers
Sunday, May 22nd - CFJ, C420, 29er, & O’Pen Skiff
*If you plan to race both days be sure to register for each individual regatta using the links below!!*