Bookings up c. 50% last Saturday!
• Based on anecdotal data/feedback from our clients, we witnessed an increase of circa 50% in bookings last Saturday (Super Saturday aka Pissmas) compared to the pervious Saturday.
• However, bookings are still down circa 50% compared with a peak which occurred in late February this year (see chart below).
• This is extremely good news, albeit it is anecdotal, but it’s what we expected/hoped to see. Things are moving in the right direction.
• Moreover, the Chancellor’s cut to VAT on hospitality and discounts on “meals out” will hopefully get more people back into restaurants and taking even more cabs in the near term.
Uber Allows Some Drivers to Set Fares
• Uber is letting some of its drivers in set their own fares in California.
• It’s part of the company’s attempts to show that drivers are independent, and therefore should not be classified as employees under “AB5”, California’s new gig-work law.
• “AB5” makes it harder for companies to claim that workers are independent contractors.
• It’s an interesting move by the company and maybe where possible it’s something that will spread to other states / countries in the future?
Tesla’s CEO Says that full self-driving “Very Close”
• Yes we are struggling to put together stories this week, however we think story is very exciting.
• Elon Musk the CEO of Tesla, the world's most valuable automaker, says full self-driving Tesla tech “very close”. The company’s current, level-two Autopilot requires the driver to remain alert and ready to act, with hands on the wheel. But a future software update could activate level-five autonomy in the cars with no new hardware, he said during the week.
• Elon Musk has a chequered history of telling the truth, but we hope he’s being honest as we can’t wait to get our hands on a fully automated Tesla.
• Just think how productive one could be despite sitting in heavy traffic on the M6.
• One could be posting on Instagram and Twitter whilst eating a Cheddar Cheese Ploughman’s sandwich from Marks & Spencer’s, and still be responsible for a 2,250kg vehicle… It would just be like a typical Sunday afternoon on the Solent.
R Value and New Daily Infections
• The Covid-19 R value in London could be as high as 1.1, latest figures show. In London, the R rate was between 0.8 and 1.1, up from 0.6 and 0.9 previously, according to government data released last Friday afternoon . Whilst the R value across England was 0.8-0.9 (see table below).
• Meanwhile, the UK’s daily new infections and death rates continues to show a flattening trend (see chart below).
• Moreover, it’s worth noting that the daily infections rate in the US is increasing, it seems to be out of control? (see chart below).
• It’s a worrying development that the R Value is estimated to be above 1 in London and nearly 1 across the whole of England. This development coupled with the easing of lockdown restrictions could mean it rises further.
• We could see additional localised lockdowns.
“Crystal clear, that drunk people can't socially distance”
- UK Police Officer