New Lockdown Measures Announced
• Tougher lockdown measures are now in place across parts of northern England after a rise in the rate of Covid-19 transmission.
• Around four million people are impacted by the announcement, which was made last night.
• It requires people not to mix with other households in Greater Manchester, parts of West Yorkshire and East Lancashire, but they can still go to the pub and to work.
• "The problem with this virus is that it thrives on the social contact which makes life worth living," Health Secretary Matt Hancock said.
• See here for full details of the announcement.
• Liberties recently returned, almost instantly snatched away. What is more, the government always warned it would slam on the brakes if it had to.
• The Mayor of Greater Manchester reacted to the measures constructively (see here), which he said would be reviewed on a weekly basis.
• All in all, we are relieved that we can still go to the pub; too bad we are still required to go work, damn!
Which Countries Will Be Next on Quarantine List?
• Last Saturday, the UK Government threw holiday plans into disarray for tens of thousands of us by placing Spain on a list of countries that require quarantine on arrival home.
• In addition, yesterday the UK government reimposed quarantine rules for travellers arriving from Luxembourg after a spike in coronavirus cases there.
• Also Health Secretary Matt Hancock today said it is "quite likely" that further countries will be added to the quarantine list.
• It is not only Spain & Luxembourg that has seen a rise in cases. Infection rates have been rising across Europe in recent weeks.
• Below is a list of key countries that we think could be added to the restricted list.
• Per 100,000 (14-day average): 15.83
• Daily cases have been on a steady decline over the last month, after some fears that the country was facing a second spike.
• However, Turkey’s number of cases per 100,000 (15.83, 14-day average) is slightly higher than that of the UK (12.4, 14-day average), so it’s advisable to keep an eye on updates before travelling.
• Per 100,000 residents (14-day average): 17.74
• Cases have been on the rise in France.
• Per 100,000 (14-day average): 23.79
• Croatia, which was declaring no new cases of Covid-19 in early June, has seen a sharp spike in cases over recent weeks. Keep an eye on updates before travelling.
New York State to Pay Unemployment Benefits to Drivers
• Drivers for Uber and Lyft won a victory on Tuesday in their continuing effort to be treated like other workers when a federal judge in New York ruled that the state must promptly begin paying them unemployment benefits.
• Many drivers have waged a long legal and political battle with the companies over their employment status.
• Uber and Lyft have maintained that drivers are independent contractors who are not entitled to standard employment protections, such as a minimum wage, overtime pay and unemployment insurance.
• Drivers seem to prefer being classified as independent contractors because it allows them to work when they want instead of having a schedule set by their employer.
• The black cab option would also be preferable for people when travelling in groups of four or more.
• Independent drivers potentially can earn more money without wage limits set by unions etc..
“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.”
― Oscar Wilde