Massachusetts Sues Uber and Lyft Over Driver Workers Status
• The Massachusettes Attorney General announced a lawsuit seeking a court ruling that Uber and Lyft drivers are employees under Massachusetts Wage and Hour Laws.
• The designation will allow drivers on the ride-hailing platforms access to critical labour rights and benefits, such as minimum wage, overtime, and earned sick time.
• This is in addition to the current case that’s going on in California.
• Estimates indicated that there were 200,000 Uber and Lyft drivers in the state of Massachusetts.
• We guess a way will be found to keep the status quo, maybe let drivers set own fares (if possible) etc.
Uber Eats to Deliver Our Supermarket Shopping with Asda Tie-Up
• Uber Eats has joined up with Asda as it enters grocery delivery in the UK. Asda had previously tested takeaway and limited grocery deliveries via the Just Eat app in a handful of stores, said the new service would start in two outlets and could be extended to more if successful.
• The trial with Uber Eats launched last week from Pudsey in Leeds and Barnes Hill in Birmingham and will offer more than 300 Asda products for delivery in as little as 30 minutes.
• Uber Eats already delivers groceries for Carrefour in France and Galp in Portugal. What is more, online grocery sales in the UK increased by 91% in the four weeks to mid-June, according to media reports, with nearly one in five UK households buying over the internet.
• The move into the UK grocery delivery market seems like a natural progression for Uber.
Ford Now Sells Partition Shields for its Commercial Vehicles
• During the week Ford announced a new range of protection shields that can be quickly and easily fitted to a wide selection of the company’s commercial vehicles, designed to help operators meet social distancing requirements and deliver additional peace of mind for occupants.
• As part of the official Ford Accessories range, customers will be able to order the shields, which have passed Ford’s safety, quality and durability testing , through Ford dealers as well as via the Ford Online Shop in selected markets.
• The protection shields seem to provide perceived additional support in this Covid environment, offering drivers and passengers some peace of mind. See here for more details.
• Do they actually provide any protection is still up for debate… Discuss.
R Value Rises Slightly in England Following Lockdown Easing
• The Covid-19 R value in the South West could be as high as 1.1, according to the latest government data released late last Friday afternoon.
• In London, the R rate was between 07-1.0, down from 0.8 and 1.1 previously,
• Whilst the R value across England was slightly higher 0.8-1.0 (0.8–0.9).
• Meanwhile, the UK’s daily new infections and death rates continue to maintain a flattening trend (see chart below).
• Furthermore, Covid-19 is now getting out of control in the US (see chart below).
• It’s a worrying development that the R Value is estimated to be above 1 in the South West and nearly 1 across the whole of England.
''What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about radishes.''
- Samuel Beckett