• Firstly, from all the team at Taxilaw we would like to wish you all a very Happy Pissmas!. (if bookings aren’t significantly up tomorrow, we all may as well put our heads in between our legs and kiss our arses goodbye).
Uber to Buy US Food Delivery Company Postmates?
• Uber is rumoured to be in talks to purchase Postmates Inc., as it’s seeking to expand food delivery services in the US and capitalise on a surge in orders during the Covid-19 pandemic.
• Postmates is alternatively exploring various paths to go public. In the talks with Uber, a deal could value Postmates at $2.6bn, according to news reports.
• For those who have been paying attention, back in early June Uber was reportedly pursuing an acquisition of Grubhub, another rather large food delivery company. Grubhub was ultimately acquired by Just Eat Takeaway in a $7.3 bn deal, but only after the deal with Uber fell through over a variety of concerns.
• With pressure mounting on the CEO of Uber, he has to buy something, anything, to please his board of directors and shareholders.
• A purchase of Postmates will get him through performance review for 2020…
Amazon Entering Ride Hailing Market…
• Amazon announced last Friday that it will acquire California based Zoox, a self-driving start-up founded in 2014 that has raised nearly $1bn in funding and which aims to develop autonomous driving technology, including vehicles, for the purposes of providing a full-stack solution for ride-hailing.
• The plot thickens… We understand that the plan is for Zoox is to continue development of its robot taxi, an electric vehicle that it has been working on and the acquisition by Amazon is in part as a way to bring more delivery services in house.
• For some reason we are replaying season 2 of Westworld in our heads…
Rental e-scooters to be made legal on roads in Great Britain from Saturday
• Rental e-scooters will become legal on roads in the UK from this Saturday. The move is aimed at easing pressure on public transport amid the coronavirus crisis.
• The Department for Transport said the first rentable e-scooters could be available next week, as it published guidance for e-scooter-for-hire firms. See here for more details.
• The vehicles are banned on pavements, will be limited to 15.5mph and it is recommended that riders wear helmets. Furthermore, privately owned e-scooters remain illegal on roads.
• Every person using a rental scooter to avoid public transport is a person who could be taking a cab… Also, is there an opportunity for private hire vehicle firms to diversify into a new market that is about to take off!?!
• What is more, we at Taxilaw find that taking a cab home from the pub after 10 pints of Guinness and 5 whiskey chasers is preferable to riding a rental scooter…
Twas the Night Before Pissmas…
• The UK’s daily new infections and death rates continues to show a flattening trend (see chart below), yippie!
• This is just in California… we will report on the issue when it’s decided.
• Moreover, it’s worth noting that the daily infections rate in the US is still spiking (see below chart).
• Let’s hope that the recent rapid spread of the disease in the US is not indicative of what will happen in the UK despite increased volumes of people circulating again and getting hammered in pubs etc…
“Men who do things without being told draw the most wages. ”
- Rodney Dangerfield