Do you know? This November we are celebrating 50 years of our Cortes Island ferry!
You can read the newspaper articles from 50 years ago, published in The Campbell River / Upper Islander on November 26, 1969, in our pdf newsletter. Also, drop in to the Cortes Museum at the end of November, for a mini-exhibit related to the Cortes Ferry.
Our beloved Ginnie Ellingsen passed away at home on October 14, surrounded by family and a few close friends.
There will be a Graveside Service for Ginnie at Manson's Cemetery on Saturday, November 2, at 10:30 a.m.
A Celebration of Life will follow immediately at Manson's Hall at 12 noon.
So much loved by many in our community, Charles Crossland became Cortes Island Seniors Society member in September 2019. A celebration of his life will be held at Manson's Hall at 6 p.m. on Saturday, November 2.
We have four lunches in November, all start at noon:
Contact Carina (250-935-6793, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.), if you would like to come to any of our lunches or for more information.
- Thursday, November 7 – Gerri and George, 1084 Freeman Road
- Wednesday, November 13 – Raven Farm, 478 Manson Road
- Tuesday, November 19 – Pioneer Room, Manson's Hall
- Tuesday, November 26 – Pioneer Room, Manson's Hall
The second Literary Afternoon of this season will be held on Sunday, November 24. Our readers, also the January and February event dates, will be announced later.
Contact Carina (250-935-6793, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.), if you would like to read your work at one of these events. These popular events are organized by Seniors Helping Seniors with a co-production of the Cortes Museum.
- Jazzercize – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, at 9 a.m., Manson's Hall; Contact Ruth@6478
- Carpet Bowling – Thursdays, at 1:15 p.m. (looking for bowlers!); Contact De@0305
- School Chess – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 12 to 1 p.m.; Contact Bobo@0194
- Isle Sing – Wednesdays, 7–8:30 p.m., Cortes School Library, drop-ins welcome; Contact Dayna
- FolkU – Fridays, check Tideline calendar for last-minute updates (see also more information below under separate heading)
Cortes Island DeathCaring Collective
Cortes DeathCaring Collective, in partnership with FolkU, invites you to the following events at the Linnaea Education Centre, on Fridays at 1 p.m. (message from Margaret Verschuur):
- November 8 – End of Life Planning
- November 15 – Do-It-Yourself Funerals
- November 22 – How death is viewed through cultures and time
- November 29 – Climate Grief
- November 15–17 – Grief Tending Circle with Laurence Cole