At St Edmund’s, we try to take a balanced approach to Coronavirus; leaving many safeguards in place to protect the most vulnerable, but also returning some aspects of our church life that we have missed. The situation continues to be regularly reviewed.
Safeguards in place
I hope that the following continued safeguards will help to put at ease the minds of those who are more anxious:
1. We will continue to keep the church well ventilated by opening the doors during services. Guidance indicates that this is the most helpful safeguard of all.
2. It is now compulsory for all who are not exempt to wear face coverings.
3. Sides-persons will continue to collect Track and Trace data. You may opt out of this.
4. Hand sanitiser will remain available at the entrance and exit.
5. Communion will continue to be given in one kind only.
6. The Peace will still be shared non physically.
7. The collection plates will remain near the doors; no collection will be taken during the service. The Offertory Procession will also remain suspended.
8. We will continue to use single-use service booklets.
It is also important to remember that almost all of those who attend the Eucharist at St Edmund’s have been double vaccinated, which is considerable protection.
Changes to our Worship
1. There will be no restrictions on where people can sit at services: However, St Edmund’s is large for us all to spread out into. No one needs to sit near anyone else if they do not want to.
2. There will be no limits on numbers at baptisms, weddings and funerals.
3. Congregational singing and the choir have been reintroduced on Sundays.
If these changes feel rather sudden for those who are anxious, it is worth noting that there is no singing, and more space to spread into, at the Eucharist on Thursday and Saturday.
Refreshments have now recommenced after the Sunday service and are served at tables. Disposable cups and individually wrapped biscuits are available at a cost of 50p each. Tea and coffee is by donation as usual. You are welcome to bring your own cups.
The printed edition of "The Orbit" pew sheet has now restarted. The newsletter will continue which will include the You Tube service link, the order of service, the pew sheet and the latest edition of the church magazine. It will also list the celebrants and preachers for the current month and the latest information on "Raising the Roof". A link to the sheet containing the readings, the text of the psalm and the music for the psalm response - which is on the reverse of the printed Orbit in church - can be found on the church website beneath the You Tube link.