Tools of the Trade is a workforce development program intended to primarily support Black San Francisco artists in their quest to become financially successful as artists. Bayview Opera House offers practical skill development in many areas that are not easily accessible elsewhere, but are needed to be successful in today's arts eco-system.
Tools of the Trade - Performing Arts
The Tools of the Trade performing arts program is centered around real live productions and events happening at the Bayview Opera House this year.
Tools of the Trade teaches elements of the many different creative and technical skills that are needed for any performing artist’s career, as well as aspiring technical artists, who work behind the scenes to create an environment the performer can shine in. Skills taught over the course of the 3-segment program include, but are not limited to
• The creative thought process , its implementation and manifestation
• Production of complex performances that include many collaborators: artists in different genres, technicians, creative leaders and managers
• Lighting design, lightboard programming and operation
• Live sound, indoors and outdoors
• Sound and video recording of live performances
• Video projection as part of a performance
• Costume and set design
• Event planning and management
• Budgeting for events and performances
• Fundraising for artistic productions