Welcome back Students and Families of Andrea’s Music Studio,
We are thrilled to invite you back in to the studio and we look forward to another wonderful year of music discovery and creativity! We are also excited to invite students in to our new Cole Harbour location: 1081 Cole Harbour Road !
Online lessons are always an option. Please discuss with your teacher if this option is of interest to you.
This Newsletter explains the steps Andrea’s Music Studio is taking to ensure the safety and well being of all our students, teachers and families. Please take the time to read all of the information included in this newsletter and share it with your children who will be entering our studios.
Andrea has made video tours of each studio for you and/or your child to watch. These videos will allow you to see some of the safety measures we have put into place and what to expect when you come for a lesson. Find them below this important information letter!
Before arriving at the studio:
- Teachers and students must not attend lessons if they are sick, even if symptoms resemble a mild cold. Symptoms to look for include: fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny nose, nasal congestions, headache and a general feeling of being unwell.
- If a teacher or student is sick and unable to attend an in-person lesson but is well enough to have an online lesson instead, the online lesson will be scheduled on the same day and at the same time as the regularly scheduled lesson. Please notify your teacher of this decision before 2:00pm the day of your lesson and they will video call you on your previously arranged online video platform. If you would prefer an in-person make-up lesson, as per our studio policies, lessons may be made up within the teacher’s teaching schedule if another cancellation occurs within one month of the original cancelled class - but there is no guarantee of this.
For information regarding Covid-19 symptoms, testing, and isolating, please visit this link to the Nova Scotia Governments Information site:
- In order for us to abide by the social distancing regulations and to limit the number of people in our studio spaces, only students are able to enter Andrea’s Music Studios. Parents and Guardians must wait outside. Please communicate with your teacher if you would like them to meet you at the door for any reason.
- Please adhere to the 2 metre physical distancing requirements when outside the door and in the entrance way. Parent or caregiver is permitted in the studio if their child is apprehensive of doing so alone.
When you arrive at the studio:
- Face masks must be worn by all students and teachers when entering the studios and while in the common areas. Face masks are to remain on unless your teacher says otherwise.
- Keep your coats and jackets on, and your teacher will show you where you can hang them up in the classroom or common area. When the weather changes, boot trays will be put out for you to remove wet footwear.
- All students will need to bring their own pencil, eraser, highlighter, binder with paper and any other materials they may wish to have along with any of their lesson books. All of these materials should be put into a “music lesson bag” that they bring every week. To avoid unnecessary contact, the studios will not be providing these supplies for their personal use.
- When you arrive, have a seat in one of the chairs that are physically distanced from others and remain there until your teacher says you can come into the classroom. When the previous student leaves, your teacher will need a couple of minutes to properly sanitize the room and set it up before you can enter. When it is time for your lesson, your teacher will come to the doorway and invite you in.
- All students will sanitize their hands at one of the provided stations just before entering their classroom.
- Arrangements for how homework notes will be communicated will be told to you by your teacher (via text, email, written, etc.).
Covid protocols in teaching rooms:
- Lesson rooms have been arranged to accommodate physical distancing protocols.
- Custom designed Lexan barriers have been installed in every classroom.
- Hand sanitizer stations are provided throughout the studios.
- The music studios will conduct thorough cleaning and disinfecting each day including the regular disinfecting of washrooms.
- Instruments and equipment that have been used by students, including piano keys and microphones, will be disinfected before each lesson.
Voice lessons - Additional precautions:
We have ordered special pop screens to provide an added level of safety for our voice teachers and students. The screens will attach to a microphone stand in the teachers classroom. They have double layered nylon which catches spray and particles from the mouth. That combined with the classroom barriers will make for a safe set up.
- The same way that drummers need drum sticks, and guitar players need strings, singers will now need to have a pop screen.
- Every student will need to have their own pop screen that they will bring to their lesson every week in their own music bag.
- Andrea has ordered pop screens for voice students to make it easier for all students to attain one.
- When the screens arrive, voice students will be given one by their teacher and their account will be invoiced $20 to cover the cost of the screen.
- Until students have a pop screen, voice lessons will have reduced vocalizing. There are many other important topics and skills that need to be covered in voice lessons aside from just singing!
Some of the vocal topics that will be covered are:
Repertoire selections for the year
Vocal technique - studying the vocal instrument, exploring breathing techniques
Flashcards, Ear training, Theory
Music history - learning about significant vocalists, different styles of singing/genres, etc.
Leaving after your lesson:
- Lessons will end 5 minutes early to allow time for proper sanitation and movement of students in the studio space.
- After your lesson has finished, please immediately leave the studio while maintaining 2m6 ft of physical distancing from others.
- We ask that parents or guardians be on time to pick-up students after their lesson as we do not wish for children to be waiting outside the studio.
To review our detailed studio policies, please visit this link:
The safety and well being of all members of our Andrea’s Music Studio community is our primary concern and we can assure you we will be observing every recommended safety precaution and adjusting our Policies as needed to keep everyone safe.
While these new procedures will be different and may take a bit of time to adjust to, please know that it is our intention to make this a great school year filled with quality music education and fun!
If you have any questions or concerns, please email Andrea directly at email@example.com or call/text Andrea at 902-222-7193.
Thank you and all the best!
Andrea's Music Studio Team